Monday, February 20, 2017

On my way to meet Garry for our ride to Horseshoe Reservoir I saw several hot air baloons.


I don't know why, but I almost always stop to take a pic. I was early so why not. Since I had all of this time I filled up with gas at the Chevron close by.

When I got to the meet up site, Garry was already there. I've never got there first yet...........and I was 10 minutes early!!!

Regardless, we always have a fun ride.

You can't believe how green the desert is with all of the rain we have had.

Grass is growing everywhere.......fire season will be tough.

I love riding after a rain, No Dust! There was a little mud here and there, but not a problem at all.


The last time I was here I actually rode up this trail and rode across the dam via the walkway. They are making that pretty hard to do now, but I think I still could if I took my bags off.

I took a lot of pictures of the dam but won't caption all of them.

Today is the first time I have ever seen water flow over this dam.

The last time I was here, there was only a little puddle behind the dam and a tiny creek flowing into it.

Garry on the walkway.

Today, the dam is passing 4700 Cubic feet per second.

Even these old prickly pears are being rejuvenated.

I've ridden my old TW200 across this walkway several times.

Today, I'm using it as it was intended.

What I had hoped to see is being withheld by that padlock. I was told that when that tube is open that the water shoots out of it for 200'. That would have been fun to see. 

In spite of that not happening, we weren't disappointed with the views.




Aren't the desert colors beautiful?


Now that's a Wild Flower!!!







This lower discharge is where the water normally flows from when they aren't releasing water over the spillways.



Because they need to stay prepared for flood control, they continue to spill water even though the reservoir is at only 89% capacity.



We went off road to take a better look and it got real sloppy fast so we returned to the main road.


Garry is running street tires, but he did a great job of keeping it upright all day.


Several of the washes were still runnin

Sure helped getting the mud off.

He thought fast was good

I went a little slower

I went real slow into this one, then ignited a big rooster tail...........he missed it.

Some slop, and a beautiful farm.


We stopped for lunch in Cave Creek at a Mexican Restaurant specializing in Turtle Soup. (just kidding)

They are entertaining

Garry and the waitress giving me some kind of pose.

I had a Chile Relleno con Pollo.

Garry had the Mole enchilada. He said it was good!

After lunch we headed for Castle Hot Springs


Just a quick picture stop along the north end of Lake Pleasant.

In the twenty times I've ridden this road, I've never seen water in the wash.

I think these folks were visiting from Europe. They sure were nice, and ended up being really helpful.

On your mark, get set.....

Go!

I said Go!  Oh yeah, did you know if traction control is on ............

when you go through a river, you will have to wring out you socks!

We decided to turn back here because I know there is at least another mile of riding in this wash.


Even this guy was having second thoughts

After five minutes of my prodding, he went.

So did this couple


Not too bad for such a fun day!

She is all clean now and put away........Garry and I were both all smiles! Looking forward to our next adventure.

1 comment:

  1. The dessert is very pretty...lush even, when there has been a lot of rain. I have never been to the dessert. I hope that Bob and I see the dessert one day.

    ReplyDelete